Wednesday, April 23, 2008

RSS/Thing 8

Bloglines, here I come. I set up my account and subscribed to a smorgasbord of feeds.
For my "suggested 3" I went with OCLWebthings, Unshelved, and the NYT (Book Review to be exact). I found some great job essentials and subscribed to feeds from Booklist, After Words (C-Span's BookTV), PublishersNewswire, and former colleague Liz Burns. Liz's blog has already given me a title for a book that I simply MUST buy for my niece. Thanks, Liz - a small ballerina in Massachusetts will be ever so happy I read your blog! Then I went for a few french otter/loutre francaise themes, with a feed from the Monterey Bay Aquarium (where I may retire to care for sea otter pups) and French-Word-a-Day. Today's word is la laque, which is hairspray, originating, I suppose, from some form of lacquer?! That may come in handy if I go to France one day, where I'm sure some uberchic person will take one look at my curls and suggest a local purveyor of la laque. Now I will know they are not trying to give me directions to a lake. Finally, a totally fun feed - from the Dancing With the Stars blog. One never knows when a late-breaking sequin event might be fed to my Bloglines account!

There are so many reader-based blogs that libraries can help customers use. Seeing the strength and passion of the online reading community definitely show me that our readers are a critical customer base. I am trying to brainstorm some ways I can use these new skills in the future to market my beloved non-fiction!

1 comment:

Mott TheHoople said...

Absolutely!! If you want to see an awesome reader based blog you should check out www.dovermarketreview.com!! Ask your favorite librarian about it. It's the best supermarket blog in all of Dover, NH.