Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thing 14: Technorati

Well, as I found with my first exploration of Technorati way back in Thing 9, I am not at all a fan of the general search tool that looks for tagged posts. When I did the search for "Learning 2.0" I saw lots of results from other folks/organizations who are doing the web challenge "things." Although I can't say I didn't learn anything, because I did come across one post from someone at Columbus Metropolitan Library who was blogging about their new Technology Director, Helene Blowers, who originated the "Web Things" challenge at PLCMC. Full circle!

And then....when I clicked on the "blogs" tag, voila! There was Helene's blog Library Bytes, which, I am ashamed to say, I had never viewed before. I will definitely be adding a feed from her blog. She has a slideshow posted for a workshop she gave yesterday in Ohio, and it looks like it is just chock-full of great info and ideas. Just out of curiosity, I Google-ed the title of her workshop, and the first result was said same slideshow on slideshare.net (incidentally, another resource I didn't know about). SHAMELESS BOOK TIP: She mentions Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations by Clay Shirky. OCL has 4 copies, just waiting to be read - pick it up or place your hold!

I must say, I'm still a little "on the fence" with Technorati. I never seem to find what I think I'm searching for, but I always come away with some little gem I didn't even know I was missing.

No comments: