Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thing 16: Learning About Wikis

I see lots of good opportunities for the use of Wikis. I really enjoyed Nancy Pearl's and Albany County's. Book-sharing is the perfect thing to do on a wiki, and I saw that Albany County is using some wiki applications for staff input on selecting materials. I can certainly see some uses that relate to my job, as part of what I do involves consolidating communication among 21 branches!

The Library Success wiki is a spot I will be visiting again. In all of my wiki-exploring, my favorite option is the "recent changes" link. On a wiki like Library Success, I can choose a topic like Cataloging and see very quickly if there has been recent activity, or whether there has been a post that generated a ton of discussion. I know that can also be managed via RSS, but truthfully I don't see myself becoming an RSS junkie, so I like to know my options for quickly browsing new material!

The OCL blog post was fun reading, what with all of the local history and lore. I saw lots of potential staff changes in History, from Sparks, to additions pertaining to John Bailey Lloyd, to more mundane edits like style changes. With all of the posts and undoing of posts, I can see where a detail hound like me could while away hours and hours fixing wikis! I can see some opportunities for programming here, too. How about the locations that have knitting groups? A pattern could be shared in the group, and then a wiki could be used to post resulting projects and variations used, etc. Definitely a community-builder!

1 comment:

Kristen - 2ndgenlibrarian said...

Ooh, great idea about knitting groups sharing!