Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thing 18: Web Apps

At first I was thinking, what would be the big difference between online collaboration on a wiki and an app like Google Docs - I'm a little slow, but I finally caught on: format and style! Being a number-phile, I especially like the idea of collaborative spread sheets. I am in the midst of visiting different branches to look at their collections. It would have been great to do that scheduling on a collaborative spread sheet and thus avoid waiting to hear from some people at the expense of those from whom I got fast responses.

Since I am not "on the floor" too often anymore, I am also wondering about Reference stats - I know they are submitted online now, but are we using Google Docs? That could be a good use.

I was really getting a lot of good ideas looking at the testimonials in the Google Docs tour, but I had to stop reading when I got to the one about the guy who is basically doing his mother-in-law's job for her thanks to Google Docs! GRRRRrr!

My main thought for these types of applications is T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G. OCL could have a whole set of basic training for new employees using Google Docs. How to fill out a Request for Materials slip. How to fill in a voucher and/or purchase order. How to teach a basic Internet skills class. Consistent system-wide trainings that don't have to be re-invented in each location. Could be huge!

No comments: