Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thing 23: Fin

OK, so this isn't French cinema, but the otter cannot help its Frenchness!

This Web Challenge has been like a buffet - I'm so stuffed I'm not sure I can remember what I ate!

I'm not sure I had a favorite. I liked Library Thing and am trying to think of how to use it easily. So many times when I am selecting, I look at a title and think, ooh - that would be great for teens, or oooh - I need to buy that for myself, or oooh- that relates to 3 other titles I've bought in the last year. I am always looking for an easy way to store that kind of info without having to go 32 clicks away from what I am primarily doing. I'm not sure Library Thing would actually save me lots of time in that regard, but I do like the organization possiblities. I also really enjoyed Google Docs - I am definitely going to try to think of ways to incorporate interactive documents into my work. That might save me a few trips up and down the stairs - although I'm not sure that's a good thing!

My least favorite by far was Technorati. I just didn't think its search functions were tight enough to be specific, and even when I found interesting results I was still getting frustrated over all of the time I was spending "browsing" them. I just don't see too much immediate need for blog-searching at this point. I almost feel more comfortable with links from blogs I already enjoy, rather than searching them.

I think the Library should be using some of these mediums to put our staff expertise in front of our customers. I really enjoyed the blogging experience (which I'm sure you can tell by my tiny, concise postings, hee hee). I am really hoping to continue in some format to do some marketing of my beloved non-fiction books. Maybe not the most appropriate forum for the French Otter (Sacre Bleu! You Otter Read This?!), but I will find another use for him - stay tuned!

I haven't shared any adventures of the French Otter with my posse, yet, but you can bet they will be assaulted with my booktalking if I succeed in launching it!

Au revoir, Web Challenge, we'll always have Toms River!

1 comment:

Mott TheHoople said...

Non non non!! Sacre bleu. Je vou drais ma lutre francais!!! Sucka!!!